To promote the prevention of violation of the rights and interests of the population and to ensure the participation of the population in the decision-making process of the local self-government, to develop a transparent and accountable working style in the local self-governance bodies. Today the Armenian Lawyers’ Association and the Union of Communities of Armenia signed a Cooperation Agreement in the framework of the Forum for Local Democracy in Armenia “Outlook for the Future: a new Agenda for Decentralization”, which was launched today in Yerevan on the occasion of the Local Self-Government Day.
Mr. Karen Zadoyan, President of the Armenian lawyers’ Association and Mr. Emin Yeritsyan, President of the Union of Communities of Armenia signed the Agreement․
When concluding the Agreement, the parties took into account the role of the Armenian Lawyers’ Association as a specialized organization in the human rights and anti-corruption spheres and the role of the Union of Communities of Armenia in improving the efficiency of local self-government bodies.
By this document the parties undertook to:
- Join efforts and potential to develop an effective local self-governance system, to promote transparency, accountability and integrity principles in Armenia,
- Identify deficiencies in the implementation of legal acts and practices, including possible corruption risks, jointly initiate and elaborate procedural and systemic legislative reforms, pursue their adoption,
- Discuss and elaborate reforms and public policy strategies, recommendations, follow up on their adoption process,
- Organize legal and methodological, as well as anti-corruption and integrity trainings for community servants,
- Establish a local self-governing bodies – civil society organizations network,
- Carry out through the civil society organizations participatory monitoring of the quality of services provided by local self-governing bodies, etc.